It’s a Heat Wave!
It’s hot. It’s really hot, especially during the long summer months.
How to Prepare Your Home for a Heat Wave:
- Hang drapes or blinds to help keep direct sunlight out and keep the room cool.
- Check your air conditioning unit to make sure it works properly, and clear away debris from the unit.
- Remove storm windows and reinstall window screens.
- Add an extra layer of insulation to help stop heat transfer and keep cool air in the house.
- Install weatherstripping around windows and doors.
How to Prepare Yourself for a Heat Wave:
- Refrain from strenuous activities during the peak afternoon hours. Instead, reschedule the activities to a cooler time of day.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing and put on sunscreen.
- Drink lots of water or other non-alcoholic liquids.
- Spend time in air conditioned places.
- Listen and watch for summer heat advisories on the radio and TV.